Re: Using rpm to patch several conf files

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, Liguo Song wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, James Olin Oden wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Tim Mooney wrote:
> >
> > > In regard to: Using rpm to patch several conf files, Marcelo Mercio Dandrea...:

> > > Probably.  You can avoid `--force' if you investigate the
> > > `--replace-files' option to RPM, though I have no idea whether that's any
> > > more "gentle" or not.
> > >
> > Is the --replace-files option documented anywhere?  I have heard about it
> > here and there but I never quite caught/understood all the details on
> > using it.
> >
> > Thanks...james
>
> How about 'man rpm'? You will find the following.
>
>        --replacefiles
>               Install  the  packages  even  if  they  replace files from
>               other, already installed, packages.
>
> If this is not enough, the source code might be the next step. :)

I did not read that closely enough.  There is some sort of feature in rpm
whereby you can exclude configs from one package, and then build
adminstrative rpms (rpm itself doesn't make this distinction) that supply
the configs.  For instance when installing httpd, you could exclude its
configs, and then supply the httpd.conf (and any other configs) with your
own administrative package.   That wasn't what was being talked about
though.

Cheers...james