RE: RPM Database on NFS Mount

Ralf, Thank you for the input it definitely helps!

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralf S. Engelschall [mailto:rse+rpm-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, November 14, 2003 2:46 PM
To: rpm-list@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: RPM Database on NFS Mount

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003, Jeff Johnson wrote:

> >I have been having trouble creating a rpm database as a non-root user on
an
> >nfs mount. Is this possible?
> >
> >I am running RH v7.2 (Kernel: 2.4.9-e.25).
> >
> >Here's an example:
> >
> >[test@server test]$ rpm --initdb --dbpath /test/local.linux.200311/rpmdb
> >error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory
(2)

> >If I run this same command to a local directory (/var/tmp/rpmdb) it
work's
> >successfully. Any suggestions?
> >
> >Additionally if I run the same command on a Linux server running RH 9.0
> >(Kernel: 2.4.20-8) to a nfs mount running the same OS ver it works..
> >
> >Can there be problems with the rpm package manager in RH 7.2
> >(rpm-4.0.4-7x.20) vs. RH 9.0 (rpm-4.2-0.69)?
>
> You can't access an rpmdb through NFS, see details at www.sleepycat.com.

Well, in default mode (no DB_PRIVATE) you can drive RPM 4.2.1 with an
RPM DB on NFS if at least your NFS client _and_ server run the NFS
locking service (rpc.lockd) and RPM's Berkeley-DB is forced to use the
fcntl(2) based mutex (as OpenPKG correctly does). I tried this multiple
times with different NFS servers and it works as long as the NFS locking
service is existing on both sides and both sides do not have a broken or
weak implementation. For instance, a Solaris client and a NetApp server
work fine. Same for a FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT client and server. For Linux
I cannot remember whether it worked, but at least as an NFS client it
should work.

Alternatively, you can also run the RPM DB in DB_PRIVATE mode on NFS.
For instance, I know that some OpenPKG users run OpenPKG instances in
fully non-privileged mode in their home directories staying on NFS
servers. There the DB_PRIVATE mode is acceptable and allows them to
drive RPM on NFS even if no reasonable NFS locking service exists.

But all this obviously requires some explicit adjustments to RPM
(the fcntl(2) mutex and/or the DB_PRIVATE enforcement) and hence it
is correct that a plain RPM cannot be used on NFS in general. But
if someone insists on doing it (or has no alternative ;-) it can be
achieved...
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       rse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                                       www.engelschall.com