problems with kde3.0.5a in RH8

I have applied the last rpm for kde (and system) on Nov. 5.
After that I have a lot of problems with kde:
-If I keep :"focus strictly under mouse" (as before) Kwin abort (it
works with "focus under mouse"
-in the panel I have the desktops but no more the windows in each
desktop (so I have to use the window list to select a ionized window)
-many programs display in the windows strange caricatures (e.g. man
grep)

I sent a message to   kwin@xxxxxxx,
but their answer was
"KDE 3.0.x is quite old already, and not really supported anymore ->
upgrade to KDE3.1.x and try again"

Unfortunately, the rpm for kde3.1.4 exist only for RH9.
May I use these rpm?
 or it is better to go back to a previous version?
any other suggestion?
thanks
paolo maurenzig

I work with a notebook ACER 634LC, with italian keyboard, the present
Linux version is 2.4.20-20.8