Re: [Sound] Re: help sound blaster

On Sun, Jan 12, 2003 at 09:57:10PM -0500, Luis Rossi wrote:

> [...]

Hmm.  I sense a breakdown in communication.  You must have "cat".  You
must have a /proc/isapnp.  "cat" is a program you execute from a
command line.  You get that by executing a "terminal" or "console"
program, or what we fondly call an "xterm".  It pops up a new window
with a prompt on the screen that will have some amount of information
followed by a "$" prompt.  Mine, for, instance, says

 yak:bob(L3) ~ [1021] $

The most basic will be something like

 bash 2.05 $

At that prompt, type

 cat /proc/isapnp

"cat" actually means "concantenate" and is a tool to concatenate
several files (or other sources) one after another and put them on the
screen.  This is the degenerate (and most often used) case of a single
file or source.

/proc/isapnp is not a real file, but is a "pseudo file" that is really
a "hook" or a "viewport" into the kernel.  If you get a directory
listing of it:

 ls -l /proc/isapnp

you get

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Jan 12 20:17 /proc/isapnp

indicating it is a 0-length file.  But if you "cat" it, you get a
bunch of information.  Let us know what it is.

Cheers,
robertmcclure@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  http://www.cumbytel.com/~bobcatos/
Linux: because I want to get there today.  Without rebooting.

[Index of Archives]     [Sound Cards]     [Kernel]     [Red Hat Install]     [Drives]     [Red Hat Development]     [Video 4 Linux]     [Gimp Users]     [Yosemite Trails]