RE: unable to stat /dev/cdrom

Geoff,

Sorry for the delay in replying - I've only just read your request!

Answer to a): Log in as root and from a command line prompt issue the command

                                       ln -s /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom

Have a look at the manual page for the ln (link) command with

                                      man 1 ln

This will tell you all about both hard and soft (symbolic) links. In the above case the -s command line flag makes a symbolic link from the file named /dev/cdrom
                          to the i-node that is /dev/scd0.

You certainly did not (do not) need to use the mknod command to resolve
                          this problem.

As for b), I don't know.  Perhaps someone else would like to comment.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Alan.