Re: how to read root mail from other machine on secure lan

well, create another account and forward mail to that other account,
that keeps access to the root account limited too. Any means to access a
root account is a threat to compromising the box in the first place.

Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr. wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm trying to figure out how to allow access to my root mail account
> using a pop email client on another machine on my LAN.
> I can check the mail for another user on the linux box, but not root.
> Authentication fails.
> I have managed to allow telnet login to root, but this did not work for
> the mail account.
>
> Can anyone give me any suggestions?
> Thanks.
>

> --Ralph E. Kenyon, Jr.
> http://www.xenodochy.org/ralph.html
> 191 White Oaks Road
> Williamstown, MA 01267-2259
> Phone: 413-458-3597
>
> Home pages:
> http://www.xenodochy.org
> http://www.ballroomdances.org
> FIGHT SPAM http://www.xenodochy.org/diogenes/antispam.html
> (If you are thinking about collecting my email address, read the above
> page first!)
> Plain text markup: *bold*, /italic/, _underline_, LOUD
> Keep our semantic environments and cyberspace clean.
> Always report errors discovered while surfing the web.

 It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean
 it is. If you don't, it's its. Then too, it's hers. It isn't
 her's. It isn't our's either. It's ours, and likewise yours and
 theirs.
                                              -- Oxford Uni Press
 Ron Croonenberg                   |
                                   | Phone: 1 765 658 4761
 Lab Instructor &                  | Fax:   1 765 658 4732
         Technology Coordinator    |

 Department of Computer Science    | e-mail: ronc@xxxxxxxxxx
 DePauw University                 |
 275 Julian Science & Math Center  |