Re: Mem utilization on Red Hat 9 brain tickler

Steven, I don't know if this applies to you, but there was a memory
issue with the 2.4 kernel that caused it to fail to recognize more than
960 Mb of RAM memory. It doesn't just default back to 960 in such cases;
it can drop WAY back, and I don't know all the variables that cause
that.

In our case, the kernel that caused this was a locally-compiled 2.4
kernel. I note that the RH 'canned' kernel comes with the patch that
allows it to recognize up to 4 Gb of memory right out of the box; the
problem went away as soon as I re-installed the OS.

If you are not using the canned kernel, and are using a locally-compiled
kernel, I think there is a patch available that will fix the problem.

John Reese