Re: Redhat 9 crashes when connecting from windows xp vnc client

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Derek Shen wrote:

I am using Redhat Linux 9 with KDE.

I start vnc server (the built-in one) using:

vncserver -depth 16 -geometry 1350x1000

VNC server seems working. I am able to login using RealVNC client from
my windows xp box. I can see the vnc screen with my x desktop.
However, Linux (mostly KDE) crashes everytime I login through the VNC
client. The following message is shown (inside a popup window) on both
my remote windows xp (vnc screen) and my linux box screen:

Short description
The applicatoin unknown(ksplash) crashes and caused the signal 11 (SIGSEGV).

What is this:
An applicaiton mostly receives the SIGSEGV signal due to a bug in the
application. The application was asked to save its documents.

I used to run vnc on Redhat enterprise 3 and 4 successfully.

I did not make any configuration change for VNC. Do I need to do anything extra?

Here's the content of xstartup under /home/<user>/.vnc.

Do a:
ls /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/vnc.so

If it's there, I suggest dumping your following start script and starting it directly..when X running vnc is too...

in  Xfree86 config file:
section module add:    Load  "vnc"
section screen add   Option      "passwordFile" "/home/USER/.vnc/passwd"

If you have upgraded to xorg, its much the same so long as the module exists

#!/bin/sh

# Red Hat Linux VNC session startup script

--
Cheers
Res