Re: Not to be a bother but..

> Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2005 12:13:23 -0400
> From: "Scot L. Harris" <webid@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: Not to be a bother but...
> To: shrike-list@xxxxxxxxxx
>
> I have a simple question that I can't seem to find a direct answer to.
>
> When you upgrade system memory, what changes need to be made to your
> redhat system?  I mean, I assume you need to adjust your swap...am I
> correct in this and what other changes need to be made?

The reason you can't find a direct answer is because swap space is kind of a
a grey area.  You use swap space in a virtual memory OS to make up for not
having enough real RAM.  If you had enough real RAM you would never use swap
space (virtual RAM).  Swap space is slow though so it's not a good thing.

As you up the amount of RAM you won't use as much swap space.  You don't
necessisarily have to reduce the size of your swap space.  It just becomes
wasted disk space.  If you are not hurting for disk space then just go with it.

Greg