Re: backup filesystem

Harlan Feinstein wrote:

 Nina> I'm trying to backup the files that I need in case the system crash
 Nina> then I can recover the configuration and settings.  Is there any
 Nina> website that lists all the files I needs to backup or is there a
 Nina> command to do the backup? Thanks

Hope someone replies to the list, since I'm curious about this too.

--Harlan

user directories should always be backed up. If the system fails/crashes, you'll always have your system disks to reinstall the OS.
I would backup the entire /etc tree, /root and even /var, especially if sql databases are stored there. I run a script that backs up every mysql database into a *.sql file. The entire database can be restored from this single. Use cron to run this script regularly. Any added software you installed should be backed up. I keep copies of all software I installed after initial installation.
Then I burn them to disk just in case the system fails. Just my two cents.

NS Kandah