Problem booting new kernel

Hello,

I created a custom kernel to use parallel port modularly. I'm using grub and when I reboot and the option of which kernel to boot comes up I choose the 2.4.20-6custom kernel. When I press enter it reboot boots my system all over again. Why is this happening? So quick background info.

/boot/grub/grub.conf file

#boot=/dev/hda
default=1
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-6custom)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-6custom ro root=LABEL=/
    initrd /initrd-2.4.20-6custom.img
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-6)
    root (hd0,0)
    kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-6 ro root=LABEL=/
    initrd /initrd-2.4.20-6.img

here is what my boot directory looks like:

boot.b                     lost+found            System.map-2.4.20-6
chain.b                    message               System.map-2.4.20-6custom
config-2.4.20-6            message.ja            vmlinux-2.4.20-6
grub                       module-info           vmlinuz
initrd-2.4.20-6custom.img  module-info-2.4.20-6  vmlinuz-2.4.20-6
initrd-2.4.20-6.img        os2_d.b               vmlinuz-2.4.20-6custom
kernel.h                   System.map

LABEL=/                 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
/dev/hda3               swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom              udf,iso9660 noauto,owner,kudzu,ro 0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy             auto    noauto,owner,kudzu 0 0

I used the following directions. Sorry for the overkill on detail.

1.)Open a shell prompt and change to the directory /usr/src/linux-2.4/. All commands from this point forward must be executed from this directory.

2.)It is important that kernel build starts with the source tree in a known condition. Therefore, it is recommended that the command make mrproper is issued first to remove any configuration files along with the remains of any previous builds that may be scattered around the source tree. If an existing configuration file already exists as the file /usr/src/linux-2.4/.config, back it up to a different directory before running this command and copy it back afterward.

3.)It is recommended that the configuration of the default Red Hat Linux kernel be used as a starting point. To do this, copy the configuration file for the system's architecture from the /usr/src/linux-2.4/configs/ directory to /usr/src/linux-2.4/.config. If the system has more than four gigabytes of memory, copy the file that contains the keyword bigmem.

4.) After finishing the configuration, click the Save and Exit button in the main menu window to create the configuration file /usr/src/linux-2.4/.config  and exit the Linux Kernel Configuration  program.

Even if no changes were made to any of the settings, running the make xconfig command (or one of the other methods for kernel configuration) is required before continuing.

5. After creating a /usr/src/linux-2.4/.config file, use the command make             dep to set up the dependencies correctly.

6.Use the command make clean to prepare the source tree for the build.

7.It is recommended that the custom kernel have a modified version number so that the existing kernel is not overwritten. The method described here is the easiest to recover from in the event of a mishap. For other possibilities, details can be found at http://www.redhat.com/mirrors/LDP/HOWTO/Kernel-HOWTO.html or in the Makefile in /usr/src/linux-2.4.

By default, /usr/src/linux-2.4/Makefile includes the word custom at the end of the line beginning with EXTRAVERSION. Appending the string allows the system to have the old working kernel and the new kernel (version 2.4.20-2.47.1custom) on the system at the same time.

If the system contains more than one custom kernel, a good method is to append the date at the end (or another identifier).

8.)Build the kernel with make bzImage.

9.)Build any modules configured with make modules.

10.) Use the command make modules_install to install the kernel modules (even if nothing was actually built). Notice the underscore (_) in the command. This installs the kernel modules into the directory path /lib/modules/<KERNELVERSION>/kernel/drivers (where KERNELVERSION is the version specified in the Makefile). In this example it would be /lib/modules/2.4.20-2.47.1custom/kernel/drivers/.

11.)Use make install to copy the new kernel and its associated files to the proper directories.

What should I do?

Thanks

Chris

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.