Re: GRUB kernel boot error - RH9

On Wed, Jan 26, 2005 at 07:25:39PM -0800, Aldo Foot wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a box to dual boot Win2k and RedHat9. The PC has two HDDs,
> Win2k installed in the master HDD (hda) and LINUX in the slave
> disk (hdb1). The system boots with GRUB.
>
> I'm currently running on kernel 2.4.20-6 but wanted to
> upgrade to 2.6.10. The kernel compiled and all the appropriate
> files were created and set in place.
> Please see at the end of message for files listed in /boot.
>
> I thought this grub problem would be fixed in 2.6.10, but is not.
> Unfortunately I cannot switch to lilo because the RH install is in the
> second disk and I get an error when running /bin/lilo.
That should not be happening. Lilo should be runnable. Just how are you
trying to run it?  See below the lilo boot block should be put on
/dev/hda.
> Any ideas will be appreciated. Thanks in advanced.
>
> -af

> DETAILS
>
> In the grub.conf file I have entries for the original kernel 2.4.20-6 and
> for win2k, and they both boot fine, and an entry for the new kernwl 2.6.10.
>
> My grub.conf looks like this:
>
> #boot=/dev/hdb1
> default=1
> timeout=10
> splashimage=(hd1,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz
> title RH26
>        root (hd1,0)
>        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.10 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
>        initrd /boot/initrd-2.6.10.img
> title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-6)
>        root (hd1,0)
>        kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-6 ro root=LABEL=/ hdc=ide-scsi
>        initrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-6.img
> title DOS
>        rootnoverify (hd0,0)
>        chainloader +1
>
> My problem is when tryng to boot with kernel 2.6.10, The system hangs
> with this message:
>
> Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to
> kernel
>
> So I booted with a floppy and did this
> boot: linux init=/sbin/init root=/dev/hdb1 <enter>

This error almost always results when the kernel and initrd file is
not on the device that the fstab says it is on. I can't see why the two
kernels would be different in the regard but is /dev/hdb1 called
LABEL=/ in the fstab?
Just as in  lilo did you put the grub boot blocks on /hda,
Like: grub-install /dev/hda
> But got the same error. What am I missing?

> Things I've tried
> -o- created fresh initrd.img: done the mkinitrd -f -v
> initrd-kernelversion.img kernelversion
> -o- create new boot floppy: mkbootdisk --device /dev/fd0 2.6.10
> -o- tried /bin/lilo to replace grub, but got error
> "Warning: /dev/hdb1 is not on the first disk
>  Fatal : sector 20196056 too large for linear mode (try 'lba32'instead)
Why did you not put the lilo boot block on /dev/hda?

QOTD:
	"I thought I saw a unicorn on the way over, but it was just a
	horse with one of the horns broken off."
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
One Trinity Place.