Re: Setting Time on RHL 9

Do you mean redhat-config-date?

Why bother with adjtimex anyway? It looks like repeated use of hwclock -s and hwclock -w would do the trick. Is it that adjtimex allows one to execute it adjtimex at boot time in rc.local whereas hwclock is not useful there?

My wife's computer has adjtimex installed and a man page for it. She's using the RHL 9 (non-enterprise). When I go to the web and look for a man page, I can't find one either. Supposedly it's in section 8, but when I search some sources for section 8, nothing. What's the story there (not in 8 and not on the web)?

LeRoy Dorman wrote:

Running dateconfig (can't remember the full path, I am on my solaris machine and my Redhat box is at another location) as root will reset
the time from an NTP server, but, as far as I can tell, does not return
the offset (the amount by which the time was changed).

LeRoy Dorman

Wayne Watson wrote:

I just started delving into a time problem I have on RHL 9, and discovered that I do not have an /sbin/adjtimex, only /sbin/hwclock. My clock seems to drift a lot at times, and then at other times (a different boot) is pretty reasonable. I looked in my /etc/rc.d/rc.local file and found it was pretty bare bones, only having remarks and a touch command. I would think adjtimex would be part of almost any install. Comments?

-- Wayne T. Watson (Watson Adventures, Prop., Nevada City, CA) (121.015 Deg. W, 39.262 Deg. N) GMT-8 hr std. time) Obz Site: 39° 15' 7" N, 121° 2' 32" W, 2700 feet

                      Most vehicle/deer accidents occur at sunset.
                         Vehicle deer whistles are ineffective.

                        Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>