Re: Samba--Connection Refused

Results below.

Michael Schwendt wrote:

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:33:50 -0800, Wayne Watson wrote:

If you try without

 only_from=localhost 192.168.0.2

or with

 only_from=127.0.0.1 192.168.0.2

and restart xinetd, what do you get? Using reverse lookup with
"localhost" must work before you could use it, so stick to numeric
addresses for your local environment.

I used the second form, and still have the same problem.

Then try without only_from restrictions. Don't forget to restart xinetd.
Restarted xinetd, but it made no difference when I pulled the only_from line.

If that still doesn't work, log in as root, stop xinetd (service xinetd stop), and run /usr/sbin/swat manually in a terminal. When running "netstat -tpan | grep 901", you should see that something listens on port 901. Make sure you have the "wget" package installed, then run "wget --server http://127.0.0.1:901"; and post the output.
I stopped the service, ran swat, and while in another terminal ran netstat. the netstat output did not have a 901 according to the grep. wget-1.8.2-9 is on my RH9 system. Here's the output from it:

[root@AstroPC2004 root]# wget --server http://127.0.0.1:901 > junk_wget
--09:04:40--  http://127.0.0.1:901/
           => `index.html'
Connecting to 127.0.0.1:901... failed: Connection refused.

Note that I posted a msg that I had incompletely updated Samba to 3.0.9-... with only one of the four necessary files. I removed it and installed the latest four files from the RH 9 update page, 3.2.7b.

Which may be part of your problems. 2.2.7a-8.9.0 is the very latest for
Red Hat Linux 9, which was not released by the Fedora Legacy project.
Note that I'm using RHL9 right out of the box, and have not migrated to Fedora.

Although I know Mozilla (1.2.1) works for me on the web, I'm going to try to upgrade it to the latest version (1.4.2-...) as found on the update page. However, 1.2.1 does have the bothersome German difficulty.

That's an entirely different and unexpected problem. What do you
get for

cat /etc/sysconfig/i18n
rpm -qa 'mozilla*'

?

Here's the output for the above moz check:

LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
SUPPORTED="en_US.UTF-8:en_US:en"
SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"

rpm--qa 'mozilla' only listed mozilla, one package. I believe it was 1.2.1, as it should be. Forgot to write it on my floppy or take a note.