Getting Some Reasonable RPM Packages?

I've had RHL 9 for almost a year and my 'subscription' is about to run out at the end of this month. As I understand it, the subscription allows me to use up2date for a year. My purpose is originally getting this product was to put together a 7/24 Linux application and just let it run. I had little interest in attaching modems, printers, or using it for some other general purpose. As a consequence, I haven't paid much attention to the general health of the product. I knew at the time of purchase it was about ready to be abandoned. Recently, I've had a need to connect the Linux box to a Win XP box and use Samba. I decided to get the modem running and check out some other items. It took me quite awhile to get the modem running, and, when I did, the use of up2date was questionable. First, because I'm using a dial-up connection (32Kbaud), and, second, because it looks like the archives for up2date are under repair. I was told by RH to just download the stuff on the RH9 errata site. That raises some questions.

I may need to bring down only a few packages. It would be good if it could be done in the style of say installing kde from the RHL 9 CD. For example, selecting install kde on the CD causes only related packages to be brought onto the HDrive. I don't think this selectivity is available via the ftp errata site. The question is how to proceed to bring down some meaningful packages. I certainly don't need Chinese characters and other stuff that's up there, and up2date seems useless to me at this point. Further it's not clear where to begin. Working from the CD is a lot easier, since the selections are nicely and clearly divided. I suspect up2date might be as well.

My subscription runs out Dec. 30. I do have access to a highspeed line at a local business I do volunteer work at. Suggestions? Ideas?

Any thoughts on moving to Fedora?
                  Obz Site:  39Â 15' 7" N, 121Â 2' 32" W, 2700 feet
            (Formerly Homo habilis, erectus, heidelbergensis and now sapiens)

                    "There's no such thing as a stupid question,
                     but they're the easiest to answer!" -- anon.

                        Web Page: <home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews>