Re: SV: Closed: After an update some modules points to the oldkernel

I've always had kernel sources, so I'm not the one
to plug for details. If you have just the released (binary)
kernel, the  'make install modules_install'
is the only method I know of to get the kernel image into
/boot and the modules into the correct subdirectory
of /lib, unless you do it all by hand.

If there are other steps required, I'm not the one who knows
(as I said I always start from sources).  You are right, it is
probably simple.

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(610)796-5838

>>> hg@xxxxxxxxx 09/21/04 02:53AM >>>
Hi Brian

You wrote(this time i got it right :-):
>Simply reinstalling your old kernel, configuring as needed, compiling
it all, and 'make install
>modules_install' are all necessary to enable mkbootdisk to create your
boot disk.

Can i run "make install modules_install" when i'm just using the
kernel-2.4.20-31.9.rpm, and not having the source rpm aswell ?

I did find some hints about that, when searching for this, bu they where
all refering to a source-code compiled script.

I did try to install the new kernel with rpm -iv kernel-2.4.20-31.9 and
the installation work. But when i tried the depmod -a 2.4.20-31.9, it
came with a lot of unresolved symbols.

So now i have patched everything but the kernel.

I havn't downloaded the documentation cd.
Is all the How to's on that ?
Is there a How to on upgrading the kernel using the rpm's without
compiling it.

In the old times up2date was able to do it, so it must be simple.

Henrik

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.

www.hubbell.com - Hubbell Incorporated