Re: kernel-module mismatch

Go re-compile the kernel, but edit Makefile in /usr/src/linux
In the Makefile, near the top, is a line defining a name as being  "-8custom"
Change that to read ""
then make & install the kernel
After that, you'll be building kernels and modules on the same version.

Brian Brunner
brian.t.brunner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
(610)796-5838

>>> mir_rulz16@xxxxxxxxx 08/05/04 05:06PM >>>
Hi,

I'm relative new to linux and I've just started module programming following the Alessandro Rubini and Jonathan Corbet "Linux Device Drivers" book for kernel 2.4.  I have got Redhat 9.0 installed on my system.  I try to use "insmod" to insert a module called hello.o, however the system returns a message

hello.o: kernel-module version mismatch.
hello.o was compiled for kernel version 2.4.20
while this kernel is 2.4.20-8custom

In the book it is mentioned that it would be better to recompile the kernel without the version support for modules.  I believe I did the right thing by simply changing the option of "loadable module support -> set version information on all module symbols" from y to n.  I ran "make xconfig" and followed the steps carefully listed in the Red Hat documentation CD plus the steps listed on Alessandro's website and as you can see from the message I booted the recompiled custom kernel without any problems.

I don't know if this information is pertinent as well but I typed the following

"gcc --version" and I got

"gcc (GCC) 3.2.2.20030222 (Reh Hat Linux 3.2.2-5)" followed by some text.  I believe my compiler is ok.  Could someone please help me out?  Is what I did the thing to do or was I suppose to do something else in order to remove version support?

Mir

http://mail.yahoo.com

the system manager.

for the presence of computer viruses.