Re: connecting to 2 isps

I'm sure it could work but you probably won't be too happy with the quality of the load balancing. When I got two lines I started to build a Linux router, bought a Cisco and a couple other cheaper routers. I came to the conclusion that making a general router do load balancing like this effectively is just not worth the effort.

I recommend a box made for just that purpose. I'm using the Xincom XC-DPG502 router with two high speed wireless lines. It does a pretty good job of load balancing the two different speed lines.

There are other products but they cost a LOT more than the Xincom.

Saravana Kumar wrote:
I am running redhat9 in my gateway machine.
Presently i have a DSL connection which is working all right.
Now i have got one more connection for backup.

What i want to do is to use both effectively. The goal is to use both of
them in parallel. So i dont have to worry if one goes down(the other
connection should handle all requests).

I have got one more NIC card in the system and tried to configure it. But
failed. As i configured the new nic with the static ip given by new isp it
sets the new isps gateway as default and i couldn't able to connect neither
of them

Present config eth0 --> ip by isp1
eth1 --> internal ip
tried with
eth2 --> ip by isp2

restart network
route -rn --> shows isp2's gateway as default gateway.

Googled and found many things that weren't relevent for me. Some were dead
ends. I think i am searching in wrong places.

i understand i have to use iproute2 or routed daemon.

can someone shed some light on it? Thanks for any pointers.

-- Greg Gulik http://www.gulik.org/greg/ greg @ gulik.org