Re: Red-Hat 9 Install lilo problems...

On Wed, May 19, 2004 at 12:37:09PM -0500, Bryan wrote:
> Hello, I have been searching the list archives before submitting my question
> and since I didn't find an answer that correctly fit what I'm looking for,
> I'm now trying a direct question.
>

> I read some messages regarding lilo boot error at boot time where the screen
> only shows an L_ with the blinking cursor and no disk activity.  The hard
> drive I'm using is a 10GB, so I tried turning LBA on and off in bios with no
> difference.  If I have to redo my lilo configuration file, how do I do this
> when I can't get into a shell or editor to do this in the first place?
>

> I have a boot disk, which will boot, but after it tries to load the vmlinuz
> file, it gets an error: 'boot failed: please change disks and press a key to
> continue.'  When the boot disk first starts, it gives a boot: prompt and a
> message above it says that you can type 'linux <params>' to override linux
> kernel parameters.  Is this where I could get into an editor to edit the
> linux.conf file?  If so, what is the command?  When I installed linux (the
> 3rd time now), I made sure to set the lilo boot location on the MBR as per
> reading another article on this list.
>

> Oh, when I put the 1st install cd and reboot, and type in 'linux rescue', it
> will get into some kind of shell, but I think it's reading from the cd
> because there is no 'linux.conf' file in the /etc/ directory as well as many
> other files referenced in other messages to fix these same problems.
>

> In the floppy boot disk that was made during initial installation, I can see
> in a configuration file called 'syslinux.cfg' the settings that are in the
> lilo file.  The append line reads: iniitrd=initrd.img hdd=ide-scsi
> root=/dev/hdb2.  If this is the only hard drive, shouldn't it be
> root=/dev/hdb0?  I've tried changing it, with the same message.
>

> I would appreciate any help from you guys who have been through all this
> before.
>

> Thanks,

Normally when you use linux rescue you are asked somewhere in the
process whether you want you linux partitions mounted. It tells you
where they will be mounted. Something like: /mnt/sysimage
Then you do a chroot /mnt/sysimage
and you will be using your linux system as if it was loaded on /
Then  you can find /etc/lilo.conf, run lilo, etc. I would be sure you
are using LBA. L- normally means that the secondary lilo loader can't
be reached.

Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University