Re: The mystery of kscand- part 2 correction

On Tue, 2004-04-06 at 18:59, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 06, 2004 at 11:24:46AM -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > My machine has been running too slow for months. I finally narrowed it down
> > to the fact that [kscand/Normal] has totaled 55.43 minutes of CPU time while on our other
> > RH 9 systems it logs 0 time. What does this mean and how can it be fixed?
> > --
> Ok, I made a mistake. [kscand/Normal] accrues time if the machine is up long
> enough so I am still left with the same slowness problem. But in any case what
> do the kscand-s do?

It's a part of the VM that scans various lists of pages looking for
something to swap out.  If you're not already, run the latest errata
kernel (2.4.20-30), as there were some considerable improvements to
background scanning done a few errata kernels ago.

If you're already at that revision, you're probably pushing things
as far as that kernel is going to go. The VM is a fragile beast at the
best of times, and < 1 month before end of life really isn't time to
start tinkering with it.

	Dave