Re: /var/log/fail.log and /etc/motd

Around Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 03:53:49PM -0500,  shane c branch, wrote:
> I'm told by the corporate IT gang that I'm supposed to have
> /var/log/fail.log on my machine.
>
> What generates this log?
>
> Also, they want /etc/motd present. That file exist, but the content
> isn't right. It seems they want the unix business notice in there. Where
> do I find this? I googled for it, but didn't come up with anything useful.

I'd ask about the fail.log, is this for login failures?  You might be
able to alter syslog.conf to get the login failures logged there.

There's an outfit that is attempting to set certain standards for
security.  They have a tool for verifying Redhat security standards.
http://www.cisecurity.org
is the web page with links for tools.
One of the things they suggest is creating the banner.   The PDF that
lists the changes that can be made has cut and paste commands that can
be done to add the banner,  I realize the motd is easy to edit, but
their commands will add the banner to *all* the places that use them,
gdm,telnet,ftp etc..  You can at least look at the PDF to determine what
needs to be changed.

Roger

Roger