RE: dhcp to bind updates?

Mike Kercher wrote:
> The dhcpd doesn't have anything to do with the WinXP boxen updating the
> DNS.

It does if you configure bind to ONLY accept updates through DHCPD
(nsupdate). So, one could disable W2K/XP boxes from sending the DDNS update
to your DNS server and still implement DDNS updates through DHCPD. That's
what I do.

> What you need to do to allow this functionality for the WinXP
> machines is in your named.conf:
>
> zone "domain.net"{
>         type master;
>         file "domain.net";
>         allow-query{any;};
>         allow-update{any;};
> };

To my knowledge, only W2K and XP boxes send DDNS update requests directly to
a DNS server. Win9x and linux boxes do not send DDNS update requests
(although I believe dhclient can be configured to send DDNS requests).

With this in mind, man dhcpd.conf has a good example on how to configure
both dhcpd and bind for DDNS updates. If needed, I can post the relevant
parts of my dhcpd.conf/named.conf files with regards to implementing DDNS.

Steve Cowles