Re: Installation after RH Support Ends

Norman Nunn said:
> This is an interesting question for me.
>
> In a few months RH support for RH 9 ends.  What happens when we may need
> to install RH 9 again but the up2date connection is no longer
> available.  I would like to be able to update the hundreds of programs
> as we have before.  I don't expect RH to be providing that service.  Is
> that correct?

If you read the Migration FAQ, yes they will.

"5) How long will the Red Hat Linux channels be available for downloading
errata?

Channels will remain open at least six months past the end-of-life date.
For example, Red Hat Linux 9 users will be able to access errata on RHN
until at least Oct. 31, 2004. However, no new errata will be posted to the
channel after the end-of-life date, April 30, 2004."

> One could download the latest RPMs from RH Network, all 1300 plus.  Is
> their a way to use up2date to recognize these RPMs (perhaps on a DVD) to
> update the new installation or does one have to update each RPM or group
> of RPMs individually?

Yum and/or apt would help here.  And as Jesse pointed out, Fedora Legacy
will be trying to provide security updates.

--
William Hooper