Re: Networking mysteriously stops working

Vladimir G. Ivanovic wrote:

Recently (last few weeks), networking on my server just stops working. I
can't make any new connections (TCP or UDP) and there is no network
traffic other than some arp & netbios stuff. `ifconfig' and `route' look
normal and there's nothing in the system or kernel logs. I can restart
the network with `service network restart', and everything is
hunky-dory.

It doesn't happen that often, perhaps once every few days, but the
frequency seems to be increasing to about once a day. It stops usually
at night. (During the day I frequently listen to Internet radio and I
don't recall having to restart the network.)

When the network is not working, I've poked around with netstat,
ethereal, in addition to the two previously mentioned utilities. I
haven't seen anything unusual. Ethereal reports some arp and netbios
traffic (normal), but nothing else. It will not exit cleanly. There are
also hung processes, I suspect because they have open NFS files.

I've appended the list of rpms that I have installed. The only one I can
imagine might affect networking is, of course, the new kernel that I
installed about a month ago (kernel-smp-2.4.20-30.9 on Thu Feb 19
17:03:38 2004).

`chkrootkit-0.43b' does not report any problems, and Tripwire hasn't
shown anything unusual. I am behind a firewall (a D-Link DI624 wireless
router) that only allows inbound ftp, httpd, dns, smtp, ssh, rtsp and
cvs traffic.

Any suggestions on how to debug this problem?

Thanks.

--- Vladimir

Vladimir G. Ivanovic                        http://leonora.org/~vladimir
2770 Cowper St.                                         vladimir@xxxxxxx
Palo Alto, CA 94306-2447                                 +1 650 678 8014

perhaps the NIC itself is failing?

--
regards,

shane