VMware: access to RHL9 host from WinXP guest via Samba no longer working

In brief: I am suddenly unable to browse my RHL9 host filesystem from
within a Windows XP guest machine in VMware Worstation using Samba. I am
unaware of anything significant changing. It seems to have "just stopped
working". I'd really appreciate some help troubleshooting this.

Details:

I am running VMware Workstation 4.0.5 (build 6030) on Red Hat Linux 9
(kernel 2.4.20-30.9). The following output of "/sbin/service vmware
restart" should give a good indication of how VMware is configured:

# service vmware restart
Stopping VMware services:
   Virtual machine monitor                                 [  OK  ]
   Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0                       [  OK  ]
   DHCP server on /dev/vmnet1                              [  OK  ]
   SMB share server on /dev/vmnet1                         [  OK  ]
   SMB name server on /dev/vmnet1                          [  OK  ]
   Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet1                     [  OK  ]
   DHCP server on /dev/vmnet8                              [  OK  ]
   NAT networking on /dev/vmnet8                           [  OK  ]
   Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet8                     [  OK  ]
   Virtual ethernet                                        [  OK  ]
Starting VMware services:
   Virtual machine monitor                                 [  OK  ]
   Virtual ethernet                                        [  OK  ]
   Bridged networking on /dev/vmnet0                       [  OK  ]
   Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet1 (background)        [  OK  ]
   Host-only networking on /dev/vmnet8 (background)        [  OK  ]
   NAT networking on /dev/vmnet8                           [  OK  ]

My Windows XP Home Edition SP1 guest OS seems to have suddenly stopped
allowing me to browse the host OS's filesystem using samba. This was
working fine before, and I don't seem to have changed anything on either
the host or the guest. But yesterday I suddenly couldn't access the host
fs. Then for no apparent reason it started working again. Then again
today, I started up VMware, started the Win XP guest, logged in, and
couldn't access the host via samba anymore.

I am using the version of Samba that comes with VMware, and RHL9's Samba
is NOT running.

I've tried restarting the guest, quitting and restarting vmware, and
restarting the vmware services, all to no avail.

If in Win XP in "My Network Places" I double-click on "darren on VMware
Samba Server 2.2.8a (Excession)" (excession is the host machine name) I
get an error dialog saying the following:

	\\EXCESSION\darren is not accessible. You might not have permission
	to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of the
	server to find out if you have access permissions.

	The network path was not found.

The same happens if I double-click on "HostFS on VMware Samba Server
2.2.8a (Excession)".

If in the sidebar under "Network Tasks" I click "View workgroup
computers" I get an error dialog saying this:

	Vmware is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
	network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
	out if you have access permissions.

	The list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available.

In Win XP under "Network Connections" I see "Local Area Connection 3"
(which I assume is connected to vmnet1) and "Local Area Connection 4"
(which I assume is connected to vmnet8). Both are indicated as being
"Enabled, Firewalled". I have done very little customisation of this
setup -- pretty much everything worked out of the box for me. I made a
couple of tiny changes to the smb.conf file that came with VMware (e.g.
changed the name of the workgroup) but that's about it.

I've tried turning off all firewalls on the host and the guest, but that
made no difference. Which is good because this was working before with
firewalls on host and guest switched on.

Internet connectivity via vmnet8 is working absolutely fine. smbd and
nmbd also seem to be running fine:

$ ps -aux | grep 'smbd\|nmbd'
root      5689  0.0  0.1  2588 1020 ?        S    Mar08   0:00 /usr/bin/vmware-nmbd -D -l /dev/null -s /etc/vmware/vmnet1/smb/smb.conf -f /var/run/vmware-nmbd-vmnet1.pid
root      5692  0.0  0.1  3592  928 ?        S    Mar08   0:00 /usr/bin/vmware-smbd -D -l /dev/null -s /etc/vmware/vmnet1/smb/smb.conf -f /var/run/vmware-smbd-vmnet1.pid

As I said, this was all working just fine, and I have no idea why it has
suddenly stopped. Can anyone help me troubleshoot this? I'm not sure
which log files I should be looking at. And whilst I'm pretty
knowledgeable about Linux I'm pretty clueless about Windows and Samba.

TIA, Darren