trying to patch kernel or update RH versions

I have been trying to either install a newer kernel (I've seem to fried the newest I had : 2.4.20-28.9) or update from Red Hat 9 (shrike) to Fedora. I have never patched the kernel manually. Most of the time I just used either yum or apt-get update to get the newest kernel out there. However, since I am back to using 2.4.20-24.9, whenever I try to use update on either application I get nothing. I don't know if going back a kernel will hinder my ability to get a new kernel. So I have tried to patch the kernel with the patch-2.4.24.bz2 patch I found. I use the following instructions that I found on the web:

#cd /usr/src/
#bunzip2 patch-2.4.24.bz2 | patch -p0 -E
#find .  -name '*.rej' -print

I restart the computer and nothing happen. Since there was nothing else, I don't if I am missing something.

Also, I have tried to upgrade to Fedora using yum or apt-get. However, that has not worked so far.

Any suggestion or comments are appreciated.

Take Care,