Re: Milter not being used in sendmail-8.12.8-9.90

Michael St. Laurent wrote:
Message
Okay, I've found the source of the problem but don't have a solution for it.

The system I'm working with here is our firewall, which has a proxy listening on port 25 to receive the mail.  Once the proxy is happy that the email is legit it invokes sendmail and feeds the message to it on STDIN using a command such as:

/usr/sbin/sendmail -L sm-mta -Am recipient@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Because Sendmail is not getting the message through SMTP, the milters are not being invoked.  This is according to several messages I found on Usenet so they may or may not be accurate.

I was wondering if there was something in front of sendmail.. you're correct on the milter interface, in that it listens on the SMTP session, and thus directly invoking sendmail won't trigger the milter.

My suggestion is to look at something like ClamdMail or amavisd-new - both take input via stdin, and then feed it to sendmail for delivery.  Just change the proxy to call the one you prefer.

-dg-