Re: j2sdk install for rh9

Harlan Feinstein wrote:

Does anyone have any pointers about doing this install? I've not installed the Java SDK before, and when I install the RPM version:

j2sdk-1_4_2_03-linux-i586.rpm

I do a `which java` or `which javac` and get nothing.

it's not in the path -

I've tried rebooting,

nope, that's a windoze fix, won't solve anything.

using 'rehash', other stuff like that, and it looks like it's not installing it or something.

use rpm -ql to see where the files are, it's a great learning experience -

The rpm package leaves a loose end in that it doesn't put it in the path - just add to the path, then do not reboot, just source /etc/profile, or just log out of X and log in again and java will work. The next step is to make the symbolic link from the java plugin to your mozilla plugins directory, of which there is copious documentation on this list

Joe