audio cable

Got a pci maddog soundcard recognized as a CM8738 using CMPCI module.
Sound works great but I cannot play audio cd's directly.

I have 2 audio cables and connected them (one at a time to test) to my
soundcard.  I tried both connections (there to two on this maddog 4
channel card that match the audio cable), turned the cable around, but
still can't play audio cds!

The RH cdplayer gnome-cd shows the correct cd and song names and the
counter is ticking away as if it was playing, but no sound.

Any idea how to get cd's to play directly on this box?  mp3, .wav and
other sound files play ok.

TIA,

jay