Re: Activating rexec daemon

   You should get a prompt if your client's rexec command is working, even
if the server isn't responding.  I tried "rexec -l abc def ghi", which
cannot work because computer "def" is unknown, and if it did exist, user
"abc" would be an unlikely name.  There was nonetheless a request for a
password.  Or did you specify the password with the command?  In that
case, perhaps it's your server's firewall, which I believe must allow in
tcp port 512 to serve rexec.  Or maybe xinetd, which runs the rexec server
and many other things, is not running -- check with "service xinetd
status".  If xinetd is not running, do "service xinetd start", and to have
it run when your computer is booted, do "chkconfig xinetd on".
   It's my understanding that "chkconfig rexec on" changes "disable = yes"
to "disable = no" in /etc/xinetd.d/rexec, and then causes xinetd to reread
the configuration files.  You can check that the file does have "disable =
no", and edit it yourself if it doesn't.  To force xinetd to reread the
configuration files, first find its pid with, say, "ps auxw|grep xinetd",
then do "kill -HUP <pid of xinetd>".
   If none of this helps, maybe somebody else knows what to do.  I myself
never use rexec.

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, Hanny Tidore wrote:

> I have done that but when I try to connect to rexec, I
> do not get anything. The cursor simply move to the
> next line. No output, no prompt.
>
> Thanks.
> Hanny
>
> --- "Steven J. Yellin" <yellin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, 17 Jan 2004, Hanny Tidore wrote:
> >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I know you'll be asking why I need rexec. Btw,
> > this is
> > > for security demo only.
> > >
> > > Ok, how do I enable rexec daemon. I have already
> > > installed the package. I got rsh running already.
> > > However, I cannot get rexec daemon to respond.
> > >
> > > Is there any specific config for rexec ?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > > Hanny
> > >
> >     Try "chkconfig rexec on".
> >
> > --