OT: very strange Networkproblem

Hi all,

I have a problem, propably OSI-Layer 1 and therefore not OS-related. But searching the Net I did not find anything so I hope that someone here can direct me to the right direction.

I have two hosts each with one SMC NIC. Connecting the two hosts with a crosovercable works fine. But connecting the two hosts over a hub does not work. The link-LED on the NIC is on and signals a conection, the link-LEDs on the Hub are off. And there is no connection possible between the two hosts.

The Hub is ok, the cables are ok, both of the cables are normal patchcable (no crossover). Very strange??!
Speed: The Hub is 10BaseT (Netgear), the NICs are 10BaseT, so IMHO there is nothing I could configure (wrong)....

Thanks for your time, Ingo.