RE: Howto configure for two Internet connections

> On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 14:03, Michael St. Laurent wrote:
> > I've got a system that sees two gateways to the Internet and receives
> > packets over both of them.  For reasons that I'd rather not
> have to explain
> > I need to somehow make certain that replies go out through the
> same gateway
> > through which the original message came.  Is there a way to
> configure this?
> ----
> perhaps I'm dumb but I thought that this was how things worked
> automatically

One would think so .  Alas Alack nope.  It really depends on who thinks who
has the shortest route where.  Packets can enter in one interface, but they
don't keep track of where they came in from.  When the packets are ready to
go out, it looks at the Dest IP and then according to its own routing table
will send them out the appropriate interface (or if there is no routing
table, it goes to default router).  Even sticker when you have more than one
IP on one NIC card.

Offtopic now, but here is my pneumonic for the OSI 7 layer model from a long
time ago .
"All People See The Naked Dancers Prance"

All (Application)
People (Presentation)
See  (Session)
The  (Transport)