Re: another apache/php/redhat question

On Tue, 2004-01-13 at 04:37, redhat wrote:
> Ok, now that I can call up local host, I am getting an error for my
> php includes.
>
> I'm assuming that I need to redirect the folders somehow with a link.
>
> The error is:
>
> Warning: Failed opening '/home/lokrin/www/www/nav/header.php' for
> inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear') in
> /var/www/html/index.php on line 6
>
> <?php
> include ("/home/lokrin/www/www/nav/header.php");
> ?>
>
> basically /home/lokrin/www/www is the root directory at my web host
> and /var/www/html is the root directory on my computer.  I don't want
> to go through a few hundred pages and change everything.  Instead I'd
> like to redirect it somehow.  Along with all the subdirectories, of
> course.
>
> Also, is there a file someplace that shows what hard and soft links
> already exist?  I know I've made a few, such as to certain directories
> on my windows partition, so I don't have to type in the complete path
> to them.
>
> Call me a dummy, but man ln and info ln don't really make a lot of
> sense to me.
---
nobody's going to call you a dummy - you think that you will just
intrinsically will understand the Linux OS and it ain't that simple. I
assure you that I am still learning a lot some 5 or 6 years after I
started.

Links will show when you see them. This directory has 3 of them...
# ls -l
total 132
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root        75942 Jan  4 21:34 apache
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         2483 Dec 13 18:12 construction.gif
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root         1711 Dec 13 18:12 devry.txt
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           19 Jan 10 17:18 horde ->
/var/www/html/horde
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           24 Jan 11 15:55 horde.head ->
/var/www/html/horde.head
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root          938 Dec 13 18:12 index.html
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        12757 Dec 13 18:12 MacOS.txt
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         4096 Jan 12 21:44 mail
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root          945 Jan  5 10:24 mullenpr.der
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           33 Dec 26 14:48 phpldapadmin ->
/var/www/html/phpldapadmin-0.9.3/
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        14432 Dec 13 18:12
WUNNINGWABBIT.gif

denoted by the ->

Easy answer - make soft links not hard links until you know the
difference

ln -s /real/path/of/link /path/of/soft/link
or
ln -s source target

more importantly I think that in your lack of knowledge of the OS
itself, you should defer to the wisdom of those who came before you and
created the systems and try to live within the built-in constraints or
defaults. chmod 777 on your home directory is using a shot gun to kill a
little bird and the ramifications of that could be unfelt for quite some
time.

For example, the default for the apache web services on red hat is to
use the /var/www/html tree and it is logical to put your web documents
there as opposed to somewhere nested within your home directory. In
fact, it would make even more sense to keep the development documents in
your home directory and copy them into the web tree when you want to
'freeze' a version - 'development' in your home directory, 'stable' in
the /var/www/html tree. To test stuff in your home directory, any
browser is capable of accessing file://locahost/~user/web/index.php or
whatever.

I had suggested to you in a previous message that you can get quick
access by putting your web documents into the /var/www/html tree and
creating a symbolic link in your home directory...

ln -s /var/www/html /home/lokrin/webtree (or something similar)

Lastly, I don't think that the apache documentation is installed by
default - you can check - you can always install it or go to
www.apache.org for information.

Craig