dd/nc to clone a RH 9 disk across a LAN?

MKlinke at

http://www.redhat.com/archives/redhat-list/2003-September/msg01611.html

discusses how one can use bootnet.img and

On the destination (new disk you are creating) type:
"nc -l -p <port> | dd of=/dev/hdx"

On the source (system you wish to duplicate) type:
"dd if=/dev/hdx | nc <addr of other machine> <port as above>"

to clone a RH 9 disk.

I am a little (OK, lot) confused on the exact steps I should take and what to
search for to learn how to do it.

IIUI, RH does not have a bootnet.img. I did find a boot.iso on CD 1. If I burn
a CD with boot.iso, will that create a "linux rescue" bootable type of CD?

Does that mean I would stop the RH 9 server source, boot both machines from
the "linux rescue" CD, and then do nc/dd as above? I will have a clean hard
disk on the destination machine. Hence, everything needs to be on the boot CD
or a floppy.

Will the "linux rescue" CD have sufficient NIC drivers to enable a connection
between the two systems (on a LAN using internal ips)?

Please advise me as to whether this is the correct approach or if it is
totally bonkers.

Thank you, Mike.