Re: Problem with updating an archive (Option -u )

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003, Cameron Simpson wrote:

> RTFM. The info file for tar says:
>
>     `--update' `-u' Adds files to the end of the archive, but only if they
>     are newer than their counterparts already in the archive, or if they do
>     not already exist in the archive. see "update".

Believe me, I read this manual several times and I fully understand the
above. I even reproduced exactly this behavior of tar. (See my second
example in my original mail).

BUT "tar -uvf home.tar ~" adds each time ALL files in ~ to home.tar - NOT
only the ones which have changed or which are new. So in fact the size of
home.tar is doubled with the second time I call "tar -u home.tar ~", even
if just 1% of the files in ~ have changed.

> This about this for a moment: tar is made to work on tapes, and you
> can't arbitrarily insert/delete data on a tape. In fact you can't do
> that with UNIX files either (you can overwrite stuff, but not remove
> things in the middle or insert things i.e. change the lengths of stuff
> in the middle of a file). And this is why the above mechanism is used.

 Again: I did not expect tar to remove anything from the existing home.tar
- all I wanted was that it adds only the files, which have changed and not
all the files.

In other words: "tar -u" behaves exactly like "tar -r" - but only under
certain circumstances which are not clear to me.

Cheers, Ingo.