Re: How can I share a Scanner on my Home Network? Use XSane?

On 27 Dec 2003, Joe Tobey wrote:

> Do you know where I can find information on how to do this?
>

> On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 15:23, Mike Burger wrote:
> > On 27 Dec 2003, Joe Tobey wrote:
> >
> > > I am trying to set up a shared device, an HP ScanJet 3400c scanner, and
> > > I want to be able to share this on my home network.  Can I do this?
> >
> > The device, per se, I do not believe that you can share.
> >
> > However, using the power of X, you can share/run the application across
> > the network that does the scanning, thereby effectively sharing the
> > scanning system.

It's rather simple, actually...assuming that both systems are running
linux or some sort of Unix, and the other user's system is running
Xwindows, they can ssh into the system with the scanner, and start up the
GIMP or some other graphics manipulation program within that session.  The
system with the scanner should simply send the screen output back to the
user's system, and voila!!!

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS
telnet://dogpound2.citadel.org or http://dogpound2.citadel.org:2000

To be notified of updates to the web site, visit
message to:

site-update-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

with a message of:

subscribe