Re: Security Preference DSL versus Cable?

On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 11:03, shane c branch wrote:
> Colburn wrote:
> >  From what I read DSL may offer superior security to Cable Internet
> > access given that Cable is like an analog "party line" and others
> > on that line may be able to monitor what you are accessing and
> > sending.  Is this true?
> >
> > When running a Shrike box as a server will I find one service to
> > be friendlier than another?
> >
> > We suddenly have both services available RoadRunner Cable and Verizon
> > DSL and DSL sounds both cheaper and more secure. I also understand
> > that during peak times the Cable speed advantage can vanish.
> >
> > Am I missing anything important in this evaluation?
> >
> > Thanks!  doc
> >
> i don't know if security over one service is any different than the
> other. if you secure your network behind a router/firewall, use nat, and
> so forth, i don't think it will be a problem.
>
> while cable can suffer from speed degradation during peak hours in
> theory, i have never experienced these problems, and i live in an
> apartment complex with many cable customers. in my location, only the
> slowest dsl service is available, and the cost is $10 more per month
> than cable.
>
> the best thing to do is talk to people in your immediate area that have
> both services, and find out if they have speed problems.
>
> also, if earthlink cable is available in your area, i'd take a look at
> that, they tend to be a bit cheaper than road runner, and you get a free
>   unlimited dialup account for when you travel.
> --
> regards,
>
> shane

I don't think there are any real differences in security between DSL and
cable service.  In both cases you really need to have a firewall in
place as was mentioned above.  There are a variety of good cheap
hardware firewalls available.  Look for ones that support NAT and port
forwarding as a minimum.  Firewalls that support PAT will be a little
more expensive but most people do not need that type of support.
Recommend that if you have some specific type of applications that you
want to run over the Internet to spend some time on line making sure the
specific firewall you are looking at does not have performance problems
with that  application and has the features needed to support it.

Whatever you do do NOT stick your machine directly on the the DSL or
cable service.  This is almost certain to guarantee your machine being
exposed to attempted attacks.

--
Scot L. Harris <webid@xxxxxxxxxx>