Freezeup during access of my MP3 player.

When I copy data to my MP3 player (less than 256M), everything freezes up
during the copy. I do get small intervals during the copy when things
unfreeze, but for most of the 5+ minutes it's all locked up pretty tight.

It's a USB mass storage device. The line in my fstab says:

/dev/sdd1   /mnt/mp3        vfat    noatime,noauto,user    0 0

Is this a bug in the driver, or is there a setting that I can set that
will prevent the freezeup?

Thanks.

steveo at syslang.net