Re: dhcp/dns log

Michael Weber wrote:

jch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 12/18/03 09:50AM >>>

shane c branch wrote:

Is there a log for either dns or dhcp on the system that will tell

me

which ip addresses have been leased to which machines by host name?

Yes, well, by IP address anyway. You can easily convert IP addresses

to hostnames with host(1).

/var/lib/dhcp/dhcpd.leases

jch

This assumes your DNS or hosts file contains the correct mappings
already, and that you are not asking about WinDoze host names!

-Michael

DOH! I am in fact, trying to locate a windows host on my network. I thought I knew the hostname, but it didn't respond to a ping, so that's why I was seeking that leases file.

I was going to shoot the guy a message over the windows messenger service from a test box on the network. it would have freaked him out.

--
regards,

shane