Re: Bootable CDROM

> Walt Henley wrote:
>
> I understand that the first ISO file is bootable.  Is there a utility
> that will copy it to a CD like rawrite?  I want to make a bootable
> CDROM.

I don't exactly know what you try to accomplish, but you should first
understand how booting from a CD works: The BIOS of your computer acts
as if it is booting from a floppy. While a boot floppy is restricted to
1.4 MB (under Linux I usually format them to 1.7 MB), the limit for a
floppy filesystem image is 3.4 MB (note: Especially older BIOSes will
not boot from big floppy images!).

So what you need first is a bootable floppy image. A floppy image is the
complete content *including* the filesystem metadata ripped into a file
(just like an ISO image is a complete CD filesystem in a file). Once you
have created an image of a bootable floppy (with dd or by using one of
the bootfloppy images on the first Red Hat Linux CD), you may need to
change something inside, so it will boot the way you want. You can do so
by mounting the image (as said, it's a complete filesystem!) using the
-o loop option of mount (man mount for details). There are several
hhowtos about booting, search on http://www.tldp.org/ for "boot". The
most important is: http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/

After you have your boot floppy image, you create a bootable ISO image.
For this you use the -b /path/to/bootimage.img option of mkisofs. The
boot image must be included in the files you include in your CD, of
course. Then you burn the ISO image onto a CD with cdrecord. If you are
using a graphical tool like X-CDroast or a burning software on another
OS like Windows or MacOS, look in the menu of that program. It should
offer to create a bootable CD. When you choose this option, it will ask
you for the boot floppy image you want to use to boot the CD.

Best regards,
Martin Stricker
Linux Migration Project: http://www.linux-migration.org/
Red Hat Linux 9 for low memory: http://www.rule-project.org/