Re: Spam

Jonathan Horne wrote:

For that kind of SLA, I have a feeling your going to have to pay some money.
At my office were deeply in bed with NAI, who owns the source for
spamassassin, but with the numbers they say (and demonstrate) of spam that
will get thru (which is 500 for every million messages), we laid out over
20grand for a product called brightmail, which they tout 1 in 1million spam
messages will get thru.  Brightmail doesn't work by rules and scoring of
messages, but it keeps a database of actual real spam messages, and updates
all its brightmail servers with new spam definitions (much the same way
virus software works) every 5 minutes.

So far its working great for us, but in a "free of cost" environment, in the
case of spam, I think you might have to be prepared for less than perfect
results.

I personally use spamassassin on my sendmail server, and so far it has
caught ALL the spam messages that have come in, and it has erroneously
tagged 2 mails from a friend, but they were just forwards that I would not
have read anyway (these 2 in particular were filled with a ton of html
tags).

jonathan

\
Brightmail is used by Earthlink. I notice that few spam messages actually make it to my inbox on thunderbird, most of them get caught in the 'known spam' folder at their servers. I can only see them if I login on their webmail interface. At one check, I had about 70 spam mails in that folder. Once I found their privacy settings, and opted out of everything, the spam decreased quite a bit. Now, I see about 10 or 15 spam mails over the same period it took to collect the 70 messages. Also, what Earthlink doesn't catch, thunderbird does.

It seems effective. I just wish they would change their webmail interface. It's very 'xp' like.

--
regards,

shane