Re: Memory Upgrade

lagoon@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

After constant component analysis I've found that I had two bad DIMM (PC 133Mhz) modules.
I reinstalled linux luckly keeping my /home partition intact and not performing upgrades. I know that Linux
bases the swap partition on the amount of memory it sees. What will happen when I replace the memory?

You'll have more memory :-)

Or better yet what do I need to do about the OS, swap, and the system ingeneral when I go from 256 Mb back
to my orginal 768 Mb?

If you installed with 512Mb and you just followed the recommendations then you'll have a 1Gb swap partition. The current recommendation for swap is to have twice as much as you do memory, but you don't _need_ to do that. I'm running quite happily with 768Mb and 1Gb swap. If you do have some swap traffic then you may want to add more swap. You can do this either by adding another swap partition from some free space on a disc or by adding a swap file. Take a look at the man pages for mkswap, swapon and fstab.

jch