Re: screen flickering problem - 1024x768 resolution on a portable computer

Tsakiridis Antonis wrote:

I just installed Shrike on a portable computer(acer aspire 1310) and have this strange problem:

When KDE(or whatever) loads in 1024x768(which is the resolution my portable supports), regions in the screen with specific colors flicker.

What depth is the screen? If it's only 8 bits per pixel then you're probably running into colormap problems. If possible, configure the depth to 16bpp or 24bpp to get true-colour.

You can find out what's configured by looking at the output of xdpyinfo. For instance, on my machine it says (on the second or third screenful):

screen #0:
 dimensions:    1920x1200 pixels (650x406 millimeters)
 resolution:    75x75 dots per inch
 depths (7):    24, 1, 4, 8, 15, 16, 32
 root window id:    0xaf
 depth of root window:    24 planes

It's that "depth of root window" that's important -- if you go on further you should see lots of different "visuals" -- with the depth of the root window set to 8 you'll see visuals with classes like "PseudoColor" and "GrayScale" as well as a "TrueColor" visual. With 16bpp or 24bpp you'll see TrueColor and DirectColor (it's never been clear to me what the difference between those is).

I wish my screen was 650mm wide :-) It's actually only about half that, but then it is a laptop.

jch