HOWTO LCD monitor

On Monday 15 December 2003 06:35, shrike-list-request@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > Does anyone know that data for an Apple Studio Display 17" LCD
> > with ADC/DVI-D interface?
> Isn't it in the manual that came with the screen?

Purchased used... no manual "with the screen".

> Try configuring it as a"Genereic 1280x1024 LCD Panel" (or whatever the
> resolution is).

That is what I told Anaconda... and it works in console mode...
it is XFree86 that barfs in the python config script.

> Don't worry about refresh rates -- especially if
> you're using a DVI interface.

...tell it to redhat-config-xfree86

> Unlike CRTs LCD panels tend to be easy
> to configure because they like to run at nice low refresh rates (they
> don't flicker) and they don't have the physical limitations imposed by
> trying to manipulate a strong magnetic field.  For a DVI interface
> anything that is vaguely acceptable by the hardware will give you a
> perfect picture (and a Generic LCD Panel is almost always going to be
> acceptable).

The redhat-config-xfree86 config script barfs...
python error... it doesn't like the data coming back
from the LCD screen where it's supposed to describe
itself to the video card / computer.... I mean,
why would Apple comply with an industry standard?

> http://www.info.apple.com/support/manuals.html#display

yep... no manual there for the Apple Studio Display 17" LCD (ADC).
I use a Dr. Bott's DVI-ator to power/adapt between the
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro All-In-Wonder's DVI-D port and the ADC connector.
Console mode works fine. XFree86 config and manually hacked config files
have failed... the screen just goes black while XWindows starts up.

I have seen some clues that the NForce2 AGP8x driver for the AGP8x
slot the ATI 9700 sits in may not be correct... I'm running RedHat 9 Pro
with full up2date. Trying a VGA multiscan on the other port got
nowhere...

--
Copyright 2003 Angela Kahealani. All rights reserved without prejudice;
UCC1-207. All information and transactions are non negotiable and are