Re: /dev/dsp and device busy

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Joshua Andrews wrote:

> Melissa Golter wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >i have read many posts from people trying to run all sorts of audio apps
> >and getting:
> >Failed to open audio port for writing
> >/dev/dsp: Device or resource busy
> >
> >and have posted questions re this to 2 lists myself, but have not yet seen
> >any successful resolution messages.  That is, after trying all the
> >
> >killall esd esound artds dsp
> >and
> >/sbin/fuser -k /dev/dsp
> >
> >commands i have seen listed, i still get that same message (Failed to open audio port for writing
> >/dev/dsp: Device or resource busy)
> >
> >I am trying to open a sound server on my system
> >I can hear sounds off CDs, system sounds, and so forth (tho have not done
> >any stress tests to really check this out ;] ) but need this (snerd) sound
> >server when running the app i am working on.)
> >
> >Someone suggested i just re-install.  Is that really what must be done --
> >and if so, just what should be done differently to avoid this problem?
> >
> >addenda:
> >sound server/same prob on both linux rh7.3 and rh9.0 systems
> >rh7.3 does not recognize my sound card (analog devices AD1816..)
> >rh9 recognizes it
> >
> >I am using Gnome on rh7.3 -- used KDE on the rh9 system.
> >
> >argh.  If anyone knows how to swivel the sound daemon's head -- or how
> >else to cure this situation it would be good to hear.  Thanks in advance
> >for any info.
> >

> I don't know about Gnome but for KDE I solved most of my sound related
> problems by disabling Arts sound server startup from the control center.

Thanks for your response -- i just may install/use KDE cause i have heard
you can do that...Gnome doesn't use that sound server...or at least it is
not being used on my system...

per Gnome I keep somewhere picked up some ramblings about the Esound
wrapper (esd) and at one point i did disable that (had to restart -- now i
wish i remembered how -- would try snerd before re-starting ;P)

(can't tell speculation from actual at this point, all i have has been
pieced together from bits and pieces of reading, not by any real knowledge
of Gnome and rh7.3)

If situation is relational however, then Gnome familiarity i think is
important, yes?  Thanks :)