Re: some basic questions

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Sommers, David (NIH/NIMH) wrote:

> I recently went from RH 7.3 to Fedora Core - but found Fedora not ready for
> a newbie like me - very buggy in places - so now I am running 9.0 - it was
> fine until I registered , paid my entitlement fee to RH and ran up2date -
> since then many Gnome related features are messed up - the terminal window
> in only about an inch wide and does not accept text, the screen saver daemon
> is not working - what should I do next? Thanks.

    You could try using mv to rename ~/.gnome2 and ~/.gnome2_private in
order to temporarily get rid of them, then log out without saving your
current setup.  Before you log back, just to make sure you really are
using gnome, use the SESSION button at the bottom of the screen to set
your session to GNOME.  When you now log in you'll be starting over
setting up your gnome default parameters.  Main Menu --> System Tools -->
Terminal will start up the first gnome-terminal window.  If you like what
you've got, then you might as well completely delete the renamed files;
otherwise you can restore their old names.

--
Steven Yellin