Re: mrtg step-by-step howto/configuration for a newbie?

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 12:03:14AM -0500, Tom Diehl wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003, Vidol Loeung wrote:
>
> > Hi all:
> >
> > I know MRTG is a very important tool for monitoring Internet/network
> > connection and data usage. However, I have taken it for granted so far
> > as my work before was not so involved with network traffic
> > control/measuring. But now I'm in the middle of it and need your help.
> > If someone could point me to a good tutorial on mrtg that explains
> > step-by-step configuration for RedHat 9.0, i'd be most grateful.
> >
> > I've tried the one that comes with RedHat 9.0 CD, but I could not manage
> > to make it work. I know, it does not work out of the box; maybe someone
> > of you can explain some steps to get the RPM that comes with Shrike CD
> > working.
>
> http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/mrtg/
>
> > I saw its default configuration like this in /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg:
>
> Which does nothing. You need to run cfgmaker. The mrtg rpm that comes
> with 9 runs out of the box assuming you provide a proper mrtg.cfg file and
> the device you want to monitor has snmp enabled.
>
> > And when I tried running it manually:
> >
> > $ mrtg /etc/mrtg/mrtg.cfg
> >
> > There were these errors:
>
> You did not tell it what to monitor.
>
> Run cfgmaker with the proper args and it will create an mrtg.cfg file for you.
>
> HTH,
>
> .............Tom
The key question is what are the proper arguments. If you want to
monitor the interface on a machine called george lets say what is its
community name. public has not worked for me and I have been using
mrtg sucessfully for years when I ran it relative to a router.
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University
715 Stadium Dr.