Re: Urgent Help - Fail to boot (problem solved)

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 09:55:06PM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:
> Next time when I install a new version of RH I will create partitions
> first with 'fdisk'.
>
> Have you tried installing RH direct from its website before?  Not from
> source code because I don't have a fast box.  I have experienced
> installing Gentoo 1.4 from source code direct from its website.  It took
> me more than 60 hours to complete.  I am interested to have a similar
> test on RH.
>
> - snip -
---end quoted text---

No, but Debian will do it.  You have to download just a couple of
iso's to get all the hardware working and install a bare-bones Debian then
use apt-get to install what you want.

I ran out of patience with Gentoo.  Learned I do not like source
distributions!

Debian:  If you need newer hardware support, or ReiserFS or ext3,
you'll want the bf2.4 CD to boot plus Disc 1.
http://www.linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=4

I think this is the way to go, unless you want to order the CDs.  I
have done a little research on the different distrobutions and Debian
looks more like what I want on my system, instead of upgrading to
fedora.  I will try this Debian installation and then install wmaker,
mozilla, etc.  Next setup perl and other development tools I need.
Have to wait till Sunday to make sure I have time to finish it.  I
have also learned that with Debian and Window Maker, when you add
programs via apt-get, it automatically adds the program to the wmaker
menu.  apt-get also gives you the latest versions and upgrade
options.

yum (yellow dog updater modified) used by RH9 and fedora, is ok but
from what I'm told apt-get works a whole lot better and Debian's
user-base is gaining ground rapidly since RedHat's latest "master
plan" hangs on thin air.

jay