Re: preventing a login

Msquared wrote:
On Wed, Dec 03, 2003 at 11:16:05AM -0600, John Mathey wrote:

I had configured a system to prevent a user from logging into a system
via telnet, but I can't remember now how I did it. Right after the motd
was displayed, another banner would show up saying this is a closed
system and shortly thereafter, they were logged out.

It depends on what your requirements are.  Do you need to allow ftp logins
too?  Do you need to allow them to retrieve mail via POP or IMAP?

If you want to block all access to the system for a specific user:

passwd -l luser

it's a workaround

If you only need to block login services (ftp, sftp, scp, ssh, telnet):

chsh -s /sbin/nologin luser

Have you tested that? If so, do you have some kind of firewall? If so, does your firewall block those services?

I'm absolutely sure that even you change the shell to nologin, users are still able to ftp.

--
Thien