RE: preventing a login

YOu really should just disable telnet logins and go to ssh logins only.

But other than that, I'm not really sure, except of course if your users's
shell are /bin/nologin then telnetting into the system, inputting
username+password would get them into the sys to the point of motd, but once
it determines that the user does not have a shell, then he/she gets logged
out??

_I'm_ not very sure of this.. but you could give it a try.. and... pls
disable telnet logins. Not secure. Use ssh port 22